Circle Mirror Transformation by Annie Baker
(NOTE: Silver Spring Stage seeks diversity in casting.)
Silver Spring Stage is holding auditions for Circle Mirror Transformation, by Annie Baker. The production will be directed by Rob Gorman, with a producer to be determined.
Auditions will be at Silver Spring Stage, 10145 Colesville Rd., Silver Spring, MD 20910 on Monday, July 18th, from 6:00 – 9:30 p.m. and Tuesday, July 19th, from 7:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. If you are unable to make either of the audition dates, please email your audition video or a link to your audition video to email@example.com. Callbacks will be Wednesday, July 20, from 7:00-10:00 pm. The first read-through will be on Monday, July 25. All roles are open and unpaid.
Auditioners will be required to show proof of vaccination and to wear masks when not reading. Please refer to our current COVID-19 protocols for additional information.
Please prepare a contemporary comic or dramatic monologue no longer than 2 minutes. Monologues will be available if an actor does not have a memorized monologue.
Please review the following information before your audition:
- Actors will need to fill out an audition form and submit a resume and headshot if available. The form may be accessed HERE to print and fill out in advance. Actors will need to note their conflicts throughout the rehearsal process and run of the show.
- Please sign up for an audition date and time through the Sign-Up Genius link Audition Sign Up. Walk-ins will be accommodated where possible, but signing up in advance is strongly encouraged.
- Rehearsals will be typically 3 times per week (on weeknights and/or weekends, depending on cast availability) at Silver Spring Stage beginning Monday, July 25th.
- Dry tech/cue-to-cue will begin around September 9 with full-tech and dress rehearsals starting on September 11. Performances will run 4 weekends from September 16 – October 8, 2022.
- Performances will be Friday and Saturday nights at 8:00 pm with two Sunday matinees at 2pm on September 25 and October 2. Brush-up rehearsals will be held Thursday evenings before Friday performances. Cast attendance is required at all rehearsals as called by the director and stage manager, unless a conflict has been previously indicated. Cast must be available for all tech and dress rehearsals, performances, and brush ups.
- Selected actors will receive a callback invitation via e-mail.
An eclectic group of people come together for an Adult Creative Drama class at a local community center in small-town Vermont. Through the artificial intimacy of their theater exercises, they form increasingly intense connections in ways that are both heartbreaking and humorous. We watch as they try to figure out their lives together in unvarnished ways that lead to small and sometimes disarming moments of discovery. At the end of the play, audiences are left with the desire to compare notes about what happened and what the future has in store for them all.
A community arts center in the small town of Shirley, Vermont.
- Marty: 55, female identifying, any race/ethnicity. Married to James, Marty runs the drama class, and also teaches pottery, jewelry-making, etc. Has a bit of a wise-woman, holistic-medicine, hippie vibe without being overboard about it.
- James: 60, male identifying, any race/ethnicity. Married to Marty, James joined the class just to fill out the roster. Quiet, intelligent, no-nonsense, with a handsome vibrancy.
- Schulz: 48, male identifying, any race/ethnicity. A carpenter with an artistic side who is recently divorced. Develops an attraction to Theresa.
- Theresa: 35, female identifying, any race/identity. An actress who recently moved from New York City to the small town of Shirley to re-evaluate her life.
- Lauren: 16, female identifying, described in the script as half Irish, half Lebanese. A high-school junior who loves theater and dance.
Circle Mirror Transformation includes occasional use of moderate coarse language, mentions of violence or abuse and mentions of sex or sexual references, several kissing scenes (involving the characters Theresa, Schultz, James, and Marty), and brief discussion of an ethnic stereotype.
Please e-mail any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to your audition!
Silver Spring Stage is an all-volunteer community theatre. All roles are open and unpaid.
Interested in auditioning for our shows? We have an e-mail list just for auditions! Join Now!