Call for Director Proposals for the 2023-2024 Season
(For information about the Call for Directors for the Holiday show, please click here.)
Silver Spring Stage, a long-standing community theatre located in the Woodmoor/Four Corners area of Silver Spring MD, is seeking proposals from directors to complete our 2023-2024 Season.
We are currently looking to fill four slots in the winter-spring of 2024. We are seeking proposals for plays consistent with our mission to present the best in contemporary plays, focusing on stories reflect our community – one that is among the 10 most diverse locations in the country! In particular, this season we are looking for shows with larger casts that are celebratory in nature to round out our 2023-2024 season. Musicals that are appropriate in scale for the Stage will also be considered.
INTRODUCTION & SUMMARY
This Director’s Proposal Process has 2 Parts:
PART 1: DUE MARCH 24, 2023
- Submit a one-paragraph letter of introduction including the title of the play you would like to direct. Even if you’ve directed here before, our Board of Directors includes new members, some of whom may not know you, personally or professionally.
- Submit a resume featuring your work as a theatrical director.
- Please provide answers to “Questions for Directors,” using this link to complete the form.
- Provide phone and email for two to three references. Ideally, these should be people who have worked with you as a director and can speak to your collaboration style, theatrical skill sets, reliability, and insight.
Please make sure your name appears somewhere on each document. Attach all files and send by email to: email@example.com
If the play and your proposal are a good fit for the Stage, we invite you for an interview.
PART 2: WEEK OF MARCH 27, 2023
Interviews will be held by invitation only. Silver Spring Stage hopes to let all applicants know by March 29th whether we wish to schedule an interview. All interviews will be held virtually with members of the Play Reading Committee (PRC) on Saturday April 1st.
Final Selection: Based on the combination of script, answers to director questions, and interview, Silver Spring Stage may choose to recommend you to fill the role of director. We will try to let directors know, as we move along, the status of their proposals. Please review the next section, “Some Things You Should Know,” and find the “Questions for the Directors” below.
SOME THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
Facts about Silver Spring Stage and our process:
- We are a true all-volunteer community theatre. Actors, designers, directors, producers, board members, carpenters, painters, graphic designers and others donate their time, talent, and energy. While we do not pay anyone involved in our productions, we do have a modest production budget to help cover materials and supplies, and have recently included a $300 director stipend for each of our productions.
- We have a COVID-compliance team in place to support our productions and we update protocols as circumstances require. Silver Spring Stage continues to require masking for all our performances; masking is recommended for all volunteers while in the building outside of performances, but it is not required. Our masking policy applies to all individuals, regardless of vaccination status, but that policy is subject to change and is regularly reviewed. We no longer require proof of vaccination for entry to a performance. Our policies will continue to be updated as circumstances require. Read our full protocols on our website: http://www.ssstage.org/covid-19-protocols/.
- We have a unique space all our own. Our theatre spaces reside in the basement level of the Woodmoor shopping center. We have our own rehearsal rooms, conference room, and shop/storage on site. All interviews, meetings, auditions, rehearsals, and performances will take place either in our space or via our Zoom account (virtual meetings and rehearsals are an option if needed). Our stage offers black box-style intimacy with brand new seating on two sides. The playing area is set on point like a diamond. (If you think of it as a baseball diamond, the audience sits along the base lines that run to home base. The backstage area follows the lines from first base to second to third base.) Our backstage area is generous but our floor-to-ceiling height is limited by the architecture of the building. We don’t use microphones.
- All shows must hold open auditions – we don’t “pre-cast” roles. That said, directors are responsible for casting their own shows. If you know someone you want for a role, invite them to audition and cast them if you wish. We ask directors to keep an open mind.
QUESTIONS FOR DIRECTORS (Link to the director questions here.)
Title of play
What’s in this text? Let us know why you are interested in directing this play at Silver Spring Stage. (theme or big idea, not plot summary).
What are the major production challenges the Stage would face producing this play in our space?
How will you, as director, overcome or mitigate these potential issues in production?
Practical and Artistic Concerns
Who else might be joining you on this production, and in what capacity? We recognize you may not want to make promises to other artists too far in advance, but we ask directors to consider who else is interested in working with you on your play. Please identify any individuals likely to join your production team (designers, stage managers, carpenters, dialect coaches, choreographers, etc.). Strong commitments from collaborators are encouraged.
In which production areas will you need the most help recruiting talent? The Stage will pair directors with producers to help assemble final teams. This answer will help the Stage plan the most effective use of our resources.
Will you have special needs or demands of the cast and/or crew beyond those immediately apparent in the script?
What, if any, commitments affect your availability to direct this play in Sept/Oct/Nov of 2022? If you have known or likely conflicts that would impact your engagement with this project, please let us know!
Anything else you’d like us to know about you not covered elsewhere in this list or in your letter/bio/resume?
THANK YOU FOR ADDRESSING THESE QUESTIONS!
Submit completed questions to firstname.lastname@example.org by MARCH 26, 2022.