Yes, Virginia, There is a Santa Claus
by Jamie Gorski
Silver Spring Stage is holding auditions for Yes, Virginia, There Is a Santa Claus by Jamie Gorski. The production will be produced and directed by Seth Ghitelman.
Auditions will be held at Silver Spring Stage (10145 Colesville Rd, Silver Spring, MD) on Monday, October 17 and Tuesday, October 18 from 7:00 – 9:30 pm. Callbacks, if needed, will be Thursday, October 20. If you are unable to attend auditions in person, please reach out to us at email@example.com to arrange a video submission. All roles are open and unpaid.
Auditioners will be required to show proof of vaccination and to wear masks when not reading. Please refer to our current COVID-19 protocols for additional information.
To audition, actors need to Sign Up HERE for a 15 minute slot.
- For the children’s roles, please sign up for a slot between 7 and 8 pm. Please have the child review the attached scene in the confirmation email.
- For the adult roles, please sign up for a slot between 8:30 and 9:30 pm. Adults, please come prepared with a monologue no longer than 2 minutes, or we will have monologues available for you to read.
Walk ups are permitted, but will only be accommodated as time allows.
Some notes about auditions:
Actors will need to fill out an audition form, and submit a resume and headshot if available. The form may be accessed HERE to print and fill out in advance. Actors will need to note their conflicts throughout the rehearsal process and run of the show, October 21 – December 18. Rehearsals will typically be held two to three times per week on both weeknights and weekends, depending on cast availability. Tech week will begin December 4, and performances will run two weekends from December 9 to 18, 2022.
Performances will be Fridays at 8:00 pm, Saturdays at 5:00 and 8:00 pm, and Sunday matinees at 2:00 pm. Brush-up rehearsals will be held on Thursday, December 15. Cast attendance is required at all rehearsals as called by the director and stage manager, unless a conflict has been previously indicated. Cast must be available for all tech and dress rehearsals, performances, and brush ups.
** If you have any questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
This play is a thoughtful retelling of the story of a young girl who wrote a letter to The New York Sun more than 100 years ago asking if Santa Claus exists and the newspaper’s response to her. Inquisitive eight-year-old Virginia begins to question the existence of Santa Claus. Her older sister, Samantha, and her parents won’t give her a direct answer. When Virginia’s schoolmate/friend tells her she doesn’t get any gifts because her family is poor, Virginia is more determined to find the answer. Virginia writes to the New York Sun for an answer because her father says the Sun always prints the truth. A struggling young editor receives the letter and writes the now famous response that explains that the spirit of Santa Claus is in all of us.
New York in the 1950’s
All roles are open to any race and ethnicity. Director is looking for a diverse cast with BIPOC actors.
● Virginia O’Hanlon – Bright, inquisitive 8 yr. old girl
● Samantha O’Hanlon – Virginia’s older sister. 10 yr. old girl
● Mary Lou Parker – Virginia’s friend 8 yr. old girl
● Wendy Parker – Mary Lou’s sickly younger sister
● Christmas Prologue 3 – 14 yr. old (boy or girl)
● Mother O’Hanlon (30-40)
● Father O’Hanlon (30-40)
● Francis Church (16 – 21) Awkward young editor (any gender)
● Walter Gibson (40-50) Gruff Editor-in-Chief of the Sun (any gender)
● Hannah Parker (30-40) Single mother of Mary Lou and Wendy
● Martha/Christmas Prologue 2 –Soup Kitchen worker (any age or gender)
● Newspaper Post Person/Christmas Prologue 1 – Any age or gender
Suitable for all ages; debates the existence of Santa Claus.
Please e-mail any questions to email@example.com
We look forward to your audition!
Silver Spring Stage is an all-volunteer community theater. All roles are open and unpaid.
Interested in auditioning for our shows? We have an e-mail list just for auditions! Join Now!