Auditions for A Christmas Story
Silver Spring Stage is holding auditions for A Christmas Story [play by Philip Grecian, based upon A Christmas Story, © 1983 Turner Entertainment Co., distributed by Warner Bros., written by Jean Shepherd, Leigh Brown and Bob Clark, and also based on In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash, by Jean Shepherd]. Our production will be directed by Fred Zirm and produced by David Gross.
Auditions will be held at Silver Spring Stage (10145 Colesville Rd, Silver Spring, MD) Saturday, September 11, 1:00-4:00pm and Sunday, September 12, 1:00-4:00pm. Callbacks will be held on Tuesday, September 14, 7:00-9:00pm. The first read-thru will be on Saturday, September 18, from 1:00-3:30pm (subject to change, depending on cast conflicts). All roles are open and unpaid.
To audition, actors need to sign up HERE for a one-hour slot. Be prepared to stay for the full hour. If slots fill up, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Walk-ups are permitted but will only be accommodated as time allows.
Some notes about auditions:
- Actors do not need to be the exact ages of the characters. Roles are open to actors of all ethnicities and genders. Actors under 18 will be asked to provide contact information for a parent or guardian. The parent or guardian will need to provide permission for the actor to accept the role.
- Casting 11 roles (breakdown below). Auditions will be “lukewarm” readings from the script — the director will give you up to 5 minutes to go over the scene with a partner before you read. Sides will be provided at auditions. You will be asked to note your conflicts for the rehearsal process and run of the show.
- The director may ask to hear you sing something very short (“Happy Birthday”-length) as there will likely be holiday singing woven into the production. You do not need to be a professional singer! We just want to hear and see you sing a little tune as many characters will do so during the course of the show.
- Adult actors will need to present a short, one-minute monologue that you have memorized. (Do not worry if it is just an excerpt from a longer monologue that feels more complete.) The memorized monologue is optional for the child actors.
- Actors will need to fill out an audition form and submit a resume and headshot if available. The form may be downloaded HERE to print and fill out in advance. Actors will need to note their conflicts throughout the rehearsal process and run of the show, Sept. 15 – Dec. 19.
- Please note that Hanukkah coincides with dates leading up to the performances. If you cannot rehearse during that time period, please indicate that on your audition form.
COVID Safety Precautions and Expectations:
- Actors/parents/guardians are required show proof of vaccination or proof of a negative COVID test that is less than one week old.
- Actors who are too young for the vaccine may be asked to test again after that as in-person rehearsals continue.
- Masks are required for everyone at auditions and for all in-person rehearsals. The only time actors will potentially be asked to remove their masks is during dress rehearsal and performance.
- All people attending rehearsals will be asked to fill out a daily screening before working in person.
- During the weeks of in-person rehearsals, actors are asked to limit their exposure outside of rehearsal as much as possible.
- Actors will work with the director and stage manager to determine a rehearsal plan that best fits their needs.
- For more information on Silver Spring Stage’s COVID protocols, please click HERE.
A Christmas Story will start rehearsals in mid-September and continue through early December. The show will run for 2 weekends from December 11-19. Performances will be Friday and Saturday nights at 8:00 pm along with 2:00 pm matinees on Saturdays and Sundays.
Rehearsals will be 3-5 times a week on both weeknights and weekends, depending on cast availability. Cast attendance is required at all rehearsals as called by the director and stage manager, unless a conflict has been previously indicated. Cast must be available for all tech and dress rehearsals, performances, and brush ups.
This stage version of young Ralphie Parker’s great quest to ensure that a Red Ryder BB gun will await him under the Christmas tree was inspired by the movie cherished by so many. The memorable characters and setting are all there — it is Christmas time in the Midwest in the 1940s and Ralphie must grapple with bullies, friends, his little brother, parents, teachers, and even Santa Claus himself… all the moments your friends and family can’t wait to revisit year after year will be inventively brought to life on stage! With wonderful roles for actors who are both young and young-at-heart, this play promises to delight audiences of all ages while relishing the process of telling what some might argue is the greatest holiday classic of them all!
Narrator (also plays: cowboy, tree lot owner, delivery man, voice of a neighbor) – male, probably over 40. Ralph as an adult.
Ralphie Parker – male, about 9 years old.
Mother – female, probably in her 30’s. Ralphie’s mother.
The Old Man (also plays: Santa Claus a jolly old elf; heard never seen) – male, probably in his 30’s. Ralphie’s father.
Randy – male, about 6 years old. Ralphie’s younger brother.
Miss Shields – female, 30’s or older. Ralphie’s teacher
Flick (also plays: Desperado One) – male, about 9 years old. Ralphie’s friend & classmate.
Shwartz (also plays: Desperado Two) – male, about 9 years old. Ralphie’s friend & classmate.
Esther Jane Alberry – female, about 9 years old. Classmate.
Helen Weathers – female, about 9 years old. Classmate.
Scut Farkas (also plays: Black Bart) – male, about 9 years old. A bully
If you have any questions, please email us at email@example.com.
Silver Spring Stage is an all-volunteer community theatre.
Interested in auditioning for our shows? We have an e-mail list just for auditions! Join Now!